Thursday 9 July 2009

"The crock is brinking!!", said the Chinese puppet

Well, I'm off to Croatia in a couple of hours. It's going to be quite a trip to get there. we're going by car and stopping over in most of the countries on the way there. I wonder what the place we're going to stay at will be like as well. I really have no clue what's going to happen :P..

I've brought with me a book on this unknown journey. "Consider Windward" by Iain M. Banks, one of my most favourite science fiction writers. It's a book I've wanted to read for ages and I finally got it for Christmas. It's kind of the continuation (only kind of) of another book by him called "Consider Phlebas". I remember the verse from the poem those titles comes from by heart for some reason. It's short. The poem is titled "Death".

"Gentile or Jew,
O ye who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

It's weird that the first title of the two books actually is taken from the second line, and the second title is taken from the first line. I wonder if some weird logic will present itself at the end of this second book. In thee first book there was no clue what so ever to the poem.

On other notes. My short time here in belgium has been great. I've visited friends and had fun. And I'm going to meet them all again in Denmark. It's funny meeting people you've known for so long again in a different country like this. First in Belgium and then in Denmark. And between those two gathering we're again going to be spread all over the place. I'm going on holidays to Denmark, another to Iceland and a third to southern France.

It surprised me a bit today when I realised how different these people are from most I know from university. We're able to be so much more weird (and I guess, more true to what pops up in our minds) than with other people I know. It's so much fun. I wonder if it's because most people from university are a bit older (even though I doubt that that's the reason) or because they're just a bit more closed with each other since noone knows each other that well yet. And so they're a bit on guard from doing (in their eyes) more non-acceptable stuff. Or maybe I'm just lucky to have had friends who are more weird than average. And that's only meant in a positive way ^^. Weird people are more fun and entertaining. I know that for a fact.

And something I was told today made me wonder. Have I changed since I moved to Denmark? Well, I guess I have changed in a way. It's only to be a bit expected, I guess. I live for myself now, I have much more responsibility (yay ^^) and I can frankly do whatever I want. Be that for better or worse :P.

But I'm still me. I guess we can't stop ourselves from changing. We can only go one step at a time, and try to stay on the right path. Unlike a certain Mr. Pan who broke both his own legs on purpose, so that he would stop walking down that path of miniscule, but additive, change.

Well, I'll be leaving in an hour, so I'd better get a little rest and prepare myself. I normally just hibernate on long drives. The only requirement is a pillow, a book and my iPod and I can stay going for days on end :P.

See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment