Monday, 5 October 2009


Well, now it's October. And it's getting really cold outside once again. I'm not exactly happy about it. And it doesn't help a whole lot that it seems my room heater isn't working properly. It just seems to not turn on. And it's a water radiator, so it isn't just so easy to fix. Well, I'll wait until next week to go and complain to my apartment complex' janitor.

This week was eventful indeed. I managed to bake a cake for my Japanese class, and they liked it. It was a bit stressful to actually go and fetch the cake. The day before I had submitted my application for studying half a year in Australia (I'll get the answer sometime in December), and to celebrate it we went to our university bar to get a beer before going home. Somehow we ended up playing games and suddenly it was kind of late. I hurried to the bus stop, where I soon understood that the bus had been early, and had not waited. So I had to wait 20 minutes for the next bus. I ran all the way home from the bus stop, grabbed the cake I had made the day before. Then I ran to the train station. Took the train to Copenhagen again and hurried to class. I was 5 minutes late, but the cake made up for it. I was kind of exhausted at that point, so I wasn't exactly brilliant in class. But well, it was only my second class on the advanced course, so I think it's alright.

At the end of the lesson we get a Japanese essay for homework. This was kind of crazy, and I liked it. I've already done the essay now. It's really a nice idea to think I've become good enough to write short Japanese essays. It's not something I would have imagined a few years ago =). I'll spare you the posting of that essay here. Suffice is to say that it's about a girl from Thailand named Sally, and that she likes looking at stars on Sunday nights, when she isn't studying or sleeping.

It's been some really tough days lately. Up at 6.30 and home late. This Friday went from 6.30 to 5 or so the next morning. Yep, lessons at the university from 8 to 16 first. We were kind of smashed, and there was to be this huge October party at our university bar later so our minds were really drifting. I hate having classes on Fridays anyway :P.

All the boys from our year had planned a really huge lunch. And we had all brought tonnes of food. Seriously, I don't even think we managed to eat half it. But it was really cool, and so much fun. We had speeches and sung dinner songs and lots of people smiled and laughed at us, hehe. We even had our own T-shirts that someone had brought for us :P. Afterwards we went to the medicine university bar and had a single beer before our last classes for that day (we had no classes from 12 to 14, so this was when we had the huge lunch). The medicine university bar was completely packed already there at 13.30, it was kind of crazy. Everyone were drinking like it was midnight or something, even while the sun was shining through the windows. It was kind of weird. Someone had brought packets of biscuits, and we played a completely ridiculous game with those biscuits, where you had to see how many of them you could stuff into your mouth without swallowing. It was hilarious, because you couldn't swallow the biscuits because they completely dried out your mouth. So you're stuck with a mouth full of dry biscuits that you can't do anything with in the end. And you're nearly throwing up because they're poking the back of your throat. Not surprisingly the floor was completely littered with biscuit crumbs afterwards. But it was fun :P..!

After the last lesson I went home to get some much needed sleep for about 1 hour before going to the October party. I didn't even manage to get any dinner. I met up at the station with a friend from university and we had a beer on our way to the bar. It was packed. And people were drunk. Not surprisingly. They had been selling half a litre of German beer for 5kr. (about 0,7€) in the afternoon. It was crazy. They had sold shitloads of beer, and had even had queues outside the bar. It wasn't that surprising though, we had done a lot of PR for this event (I had helped hang up posters everywhere all over the Northern University Campus - and others had gone around handing out flyers while dressed up as traditional Germans in beer festival costumes).

The friend I had gone with was worried that we wouldn't have fun, because we were still sober while the others were quite drunk. But I told him not to worry. And we really didn't have to either. I immediately enjoyed myself, even when not having drunk anything. Maybe I was just hyper from lack of sleep, but everyone were so happy and I couldn't help but feel just as happy myself. As the evening progressed I got some beer drunk myself of course, but I think I actually just paid for about one small flask beer myself. People just gave me beer all the time, it was crazy. The girl I had been together with some time ago was also at this party. And we ended up being together again :P. I don't really know what to think of it.

Heh, there were a lot of funny episodes that night. I remember having to go the toilet and two guys from my year suddenly come running shouting my name again and again while hugging me in a huge group hug while we're jumping up and down, haha. I remember a guy I had never seen before asking me if we could go pee together, hearing about how some of the new freshmen had been driven to the hospital after an accident (concerning jumping down stairs in a sort of stupid competition) and another one had had a street lamp fall onto him while walking outside. I also remember an episode where me and the girl, I was together with, sat talking to two new freshmen at a table. At some point we began kissing and after a few seconds it suddenly became quiet from the two others and when we looked back afterwards the two freshmen were also suddenly kissing. We couldn't stop laughing at that. It somehow seemed like they just wanted to follow our example xD.

I had a shift in the bar from midnight to two o'clock in the night, and boy was it busy. I've never made so many drinks before, and I've begun to really like it. It's actually great fun. At the beginning I was hesitant to mix drinks, because I could never find the right bottles. But I'm getting better to recognise them, and enjoying putting the stuff together.

At around 4 o'clock I took the bus home with a friend. The bus didn't go all the way to his own town because it was so late, so he ended up sleeping over at my place. Before going to sleep though, we went and had a kebab at a place right next to my apartment that I didn't even know was open that late. It was truly delicious. I had never tasted kebab before, and he smiled quite a lot at that. Quite a lot of people tend to smile at me when I tell them I have never tasted kebab before. But now I have!

The next day I didn't have a hangover. But I was very much tired. So I slept insanely long. I think I slept until 12:00. Then I went to bed at 13:00 again. Slept until 15:00. Then slept again from 16:00 to 18:00. Then I bicycled to a friend's dorm through completely torrential rain and near-zero temperature. When I arrived I was soaked like a drowned mouse. Well, we then ate dinner, and played computer with a whole lot of other guys until 5:30 the next morning. Yes, I realise that this is a very weird turn of the story. I then bicycled home while watching the slow sunrise and freezing my ass off. At least it wasn't raining.

The next morning I woke up at 15:00. My circadian rhythm is now completely fucked up. It's around midnight now, and I finally feel completely energised. But I just can't get myself to read any cell biology. It really requires a lot of energy. I'm now three weeks behind with reading, and I really don't like it..

Tomorrow is up again at 6.30 for another long day. Goddamn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment